RICHMOND SYMPHONY VISION STATEMENT:
We change lives through the power of music.
RICHMOND SYMPHONY MISSION STATEMENT:
The Richmond Symphony performs,
teaches, and champions music to inspire and
unite our communities.
RICHMOND SYMPHONY SCHOOL OF MUSIC
PRINCIPLES & VALUES
Create lasting human connections, strengthen interpersonal relationships, and enrich human lives through the unique power of music
- Belief that everyone should be able to benefit from music and music-making.
- Create a positive impact in our community by participation in music: listening and making music, at all levels.
Access and service to all members of the community
- Welcome people of all ages, races, orientations, and social backgrounds to experience the joy of music.
- Provide a continuum of programming, from birth to adulthood.
- Develop a comprehensive portfolio that includes courses in history, theory, and composition; private and group pedagogy instruction; and ensemble playing.
- Offer opportunities for scholarship and financial assistance.
- Make resources available to educators and parents seeking to supplement their students’ public, private, or home education.
Diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Present education and performance opportunities that represent a wide variety of musical styles and traditions, including both instrumental and vocal instruction.
- Seek partners and collaborators whose experience and knowledge add new dimensions and color to the evolving story of classical music.
Excellence in performance and education
- Provide unparalleled opportunities to engage with and learn from renowned guest artists, composers, and our own talented corps of professional musicians.
- Develop all offerings according to industry best practices, with special focus on innovation.
- Support students in their musical journey no matter their skill level or stage, and encourage them to continually strive for personal excellence.