For the Love of Music
THE RICHMOND SYMPHONY School of Music (RSSoM) will launch as a virtual music school open to the public in October. Your community music school will provide a broad range of programming to Central Virginia, the Commonwealth, and beyond, and will establish the foundation upon which a brick-and-mortar community music school will be established in the future.
RSSoM will serve all who love music from birth to adulthood: Pre-K students, K-12 students, and adults. As a virtual music school, we will utilize videoconferencing software and an array of both digital and traditional resources to supplement instruction and exploration, and to facilitate real-time lessons and classes.
A diverse and dedicated team of musicians, students, teachers, parents, administrators, and music education professionals representing our region’s leaders in the field have been hard at work researching and practicing with these technologies and developing the school throughout the spring and summer of 2020.
Our sincere hope and dream is that RSSoM will grow to take its place among Richmond’s many fine institutions as the hub of a universal spectrum of activities, where music education is accessible to all and where all styles and traditions of music are valued, respected, and pursued with dedication, passion, and love.
RICHMOND SYMPHONY VISION STATEMENT:
We change lives through the power of music.
RICHMOND SYMPHONY MISSION STATEMENT:
The Richmond Symphony performs,
teaches, and champions music to inspire and
unite our communities.
RICHMOND SYMPHONY SCHOOL OF MUSIC
PRINCIPLES & VALUES
Music and its unique power to create lasting human connections, strengthen interpersonal relationships, and enrich human lives
- Everyone should be able to benefit from music and music making.
- Participation in music — through listening and making music at all levels — has a positive impact in our community.
Access and service to all members of the community
- We welcome people of all ages, races, orientations, and social backgrounds to experience the joy of music.
- Provide a continuum of programming, from birth to adulthood.
- Develop a comprehensive portfolio that includes courses in history, theory, and composition; private and group pedagogy instruction; and ensemble playing.
- Offer opportunities for scholarship and financial assistance.
- Make resources available to educators and parents seeking to supplement their students’ public, private, or home education.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
- Education and performance opportunities represent a wide variety of musical styles and traditions, including both instrumental and vocal instruction.
- Seek partners and collaborators whose experience and knowledge add new dimensions and color to the evolving story of classical music.
Excellence in performance and education
- Provide unparalleled opportunities to engage with and learn from renowned guest artists, composers, and our own talented corps of professional musicians.
- All offerings developed according to industry best practices, with special focus on innovation.
- Students will be supported in their musical journey no matter their skill level or stage, and encouraged to continually strive for personal excellence.